Welcome to Hirst Signs - Established since 1987
From coal mines to road signs! Where it all began...
- Hirst Signs Limited was founded at the beginning of 1987 as a family business manufacturing reflective signs for use underground in coal mines.
- Hirst Signs Limited had the exclusive contract for all underground signs that met all the intrinsically safe requirements for the dark, dusty, methane gas environment of underground coal mining.
- The business was very successful for the first few years, but the sudden demise of the coal industry following privatisation in 1994 required a distinct change of direction for the business.
- At this point, Ken Gee joined the company as Commercial Director and was charged with securing alternative opportunities.
The light bulb moment!
- We quickly realised that road traffic signs were manufactured similarly to the reflective signs used underground in the coal mines.
- Over the next few years, Hirst Signs Limited successfully secured several large local authority contracts for the supply of permanent and temporary traffic signs and associated equipment.
- As the coal industry gradually disappeared, we concentrated on the manufacture and supply of permanent road traffic signs.
Our team at hirst signs
...to a forward-thinking company of tomorrow!
Today, 90% of our business is dedicated to road traffic signs, posts, fixing clips and other associated equipment, supplying numerous Local Authorities, Civil Engineering Companies, Street Lighting Companies, Rail Companies, sign manufacturers and a host of other businesses and private individuals.
We have ISO Quality Assurance and CE/CA Conformity Certification.
Our products are very competitively priced, and we are justly proud of the high levels of customer service we consistently achieve.
Please contact us when you next need road traffic signs, posts, fixing clips and other associated products.
Our dedicated Sales Team, lead by our Sales Office Manager, Gemma Warwick will be happy to provide prices for single items or full schemes.